Turkish – Polish diplomatic
relations date back to 1414, when envoys were sent by the Polish Kingdom
to the Ottoman Empire. Many envoys were exchanged in the following centruies.
The diplomatic relations between the Ottoman Empire and Poland was
continous for 600 years, even during the 123 years (1895-1918) when Poland
ceased to exist when divided between three powers.
Poland was one of the first counties to recognize and
conclude Friendship Treaty with Turkey on 23 July 1923, before the proclamation
of the Republic of Turkey in October 1923. The Embassy of the Republic of
Turkey, with its seat in Warsaw, was vacant only during the Second World War,
resuming its functions in 1947.
Before the war the Embassy had its seat
in Chopina 2A (1921 – 1939) and after the war in Polonia Palace
(1947-1949), Bristol Otel (1950-1952), Aleja Jerozolimskie 101/6 (1952-1953),
Marszalkowska 17/7 (1953-1956), Noakowskiego (1956-1968) and currently in
Malczewskiego 32 (1968-today).
The Embassy is responsible for all fields of relations
between Turkey and Poland, which is developing and widening in scope every
The consular services for the whole of Poland are
undertaken by the Consular Section of the Embassy, which is also in
The Embassy also has the Office of the Military
Attache in the same premises, whereas the Office of the Commercial Affairs, the
Office of the Counsellor for Culture and Promotion are in seperate locations.
Turkey has Honorary Consul Generals in Poznan and
Gdansk, with new Honaray Consuls to be appointed in Krakow, Wroclaw and